It delights me to be living in Atlanta where the flowers put on a dazzling performance each spring. Exciting to make new friends I’ll soon get to see in person, have old friends throw pajama parties and others fly in for the weekend to show me new perspectives of the city.
I’ll be in two places at the same time this spring, in Honolulu at the Association for Asian Studies(AAS) conference to discuss approaches to Japan Studies and at the Association of Writers and Writing Programs (AWP) to present on a panel with Opal Moore, Kyla Marshell, Chantal James, and Rochelle Spencer about experimenting with form in our interdisciplinary projects.
I didn’t skip 2021 although there were times I wanted to fast forward past some of the parts that included lockdown and social distancing from my friends and family. These were some of the highlights:
- I joined the faculty as a Visiting Professor in the Graduate Creative Writing Program, City College, Harlem. I was fortunate to work with a stellar group of writers
- Presented the James Baldwin Lecture “Unprecedented Heartbreak” for Adelphi University
- Facilitated two online writing workshops: Creating a Pleasure Toolbox and Grief and Healing
- My short story “In a House of Wooden Monkeys”, was published in Glory Edim’s Anthology “On Girl Hood”
What I’ve Been Reading & Re-Reading
- Wrapped in Rainbows: The Life of Zora Neale Hurston, Valerie Boyd
- Dust Tracks on a Road: A Memoir, Zora Neale Hurston
- Vice President Kamala Harris: Her Path to the White House, Malaika Adero
- Speak Okinawa: A Memoir, Elizabeth Miki Brina
- Finance for the People, Paco De Leon
Youngblood Arts is offering 30-minute and 50-minute Zoom or phone conversations with creatives. Discuss your writing and creative projects, resources, grants, and how to sustain your practice.
- One-on-one consultation appointments are available Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 1:00 pm-7:00 pm EST – $75 for 30 min/$125 for 50 minutes
- Workout Wednesdays Writing Prompt Group Session meet Wednesdays on Zoom from 12-12:30 pm EST – $30 for 50 min